New WordPress Plugin: WooCommerce MailChimp

The WooCommerce logo and MailChimp logo are trademarks of WooThemes and MailChimp respectively.

After a frustrating and fruitless search for a simple and free solution to basic WooCommerce integration with MailChimp, I decided to sit down and write a little plugin to do just that. There are a couple of paid solutions, but, in my opinion, most are overpriced for providing such vanilla functionality. Also, it seems this functionality was previously bundled with WooCommerce and WooThemes has since removed it and made it a paid “extension.”

So, without further ado, here is my new WooCommerce MailChimp plugin for WordPress:

WooCommerce MailChimp provides simple MailChimp integration for WooCommerce.

Easily add customers to a designated MailChimp list and, optionally, MailChimp interest groups upon order creation or order completion.

Double opt-in option for anti-spam compliance.

The plugin is now on the WordPress Plugin Repository and you can get it by clicking on the following link:

Download WooCommerce MailChimp 1.0

Get the Source on GitHub

Features

WooCommerce Event Selection

• Subscribe customers to MailChimp after order creation
  • Subscribe customers to MailChimp after order completion

Works with MailChimp Interest Groups

• Set one or more interest groups to add users to based on the selected MailChimp list.

Multisite

• All features should work for each blog in multisite installations but this has not yet been tested.

Feedback

Feedback is welcome!

If you need help, have problems, want to leave feedback or want to provide constructive criticism, please do so here at the WooCommerce MailChimp plugin page.

Twitter

Follow @anderly on Twitter for updates on this and other plugins.

Translations

• English (default)
  • No other translations yet.

Thanks in advance for your help on any translation efforts!

Installation

1. Upload or extract the woocommerce-mailchimp folder to your site’s /wp-content/plugins/ directory. You can also use the Add new option found in the Plugins menu in WordPress.
  2. Enable the plugin from the Plugins menu in WordPress.

Usage

1. Go to WooCommerce > Settings > Integration > MailChimp
  2. First, enable the plugin and set your MailChimp API Key and hit save.
  3. Select whether you want customers subscribed to your MailChimp list after order creation or order completion (there’s a difference in WooCommerce).
  4. Next, select your MailChimp list and set any interest group settings (optional) and hit save.
  5. That’s it, now customers who purchase products from your WooCommerce store will automatically be subscribed to the selected list (and optional interest groups) in MailChimp!

Screenshots

1. WooCommerce MailChimp options screen.
    screenshot-1

Changelog

1.0

• This is the first public release.

Comments

1. says

Hi Adam, by testing my website I noticed an error send by MAilchimp:

(270) “3″ is not a valid Interest Group for the list: Bewust Vrij Nieuwsbrief

I haven’t used “3″ in my settings and whatever I trie this error stays.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks Jerome

• Adam says

@Jerome,

My apologies for this issue. I just published version 1.3.1 of the plugin which fixes this bug introduced in version 1.3. It was a simply transposition of parameters on an apply_filters call. I hadn’t caught it because I was intercepting the bug with an add_filter call I was using to test it and that was hiding the problem on my test site. I have corrected this and tested it with and without the add_filter hook. It now behaves just as it did in 1.2.6. Please update and let me know if you have any issues.

Thanks,

Adam

2. Dan says

Hi Adam,

Is there a way to reposition the mailchimp tick box on the Billing page of a site? My client wants the tick box to appear underneath the Shipping Address form on his WooCommerce site. Currently its default location is under the billing form.

Any help with be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan

3. says

Hi Adam

Thanks for putting the effort into this plugin. I’ve had this installed for the past 2 weeks during which tickets have gone on sale for a festival I’m organising. We’ve had more than 150 orders for multiple tickets, but as far as I can tell no one has yet signed up using this form.

Is there an easy way to check signups? And how can I be sure that people are being linked to the correct mailchimp fields.

Any help much obliged.

Thank you!

Jon

• Adam says

Jon,

Can you tell me what your settings are for the plugin? As long as those are set correctly then orders should get sent to MailChimp depending on your settings and they should be showing up in MailChimp.

4. Robert says

Hello Adam,

Nice plugin, though it generates a few php notices/warnings when wordpress debug mode is enabled. Visiting any page (including wp admin dashboard) will append the following to my error log…

[Tue Apr 22 10:35:36 2014] [error] [client 192.168.100.11] PHP Notice: unserialize(): Error at offset 0 of 4736 bytes in /var/www/example.com/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce-mailchimp/classes/api/class-MCAPI.php on line 143, referer: http://example.com/shop/

[Tue Apr 22 10:35:36 2014] [error] [client 192.168.100.11] PHP Notice: Undefined index: data in /var/www/example.com/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce-mailchimp/classes/class-ss-wc-integration-mailchimp.php on line 309, referer: http://example.com/shop/

[Tue Apr 22 10:35:36 2014] [error] [client 192.168.100.11] PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/example.com/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce-mailchimp/classes/class-ss-wc-integration-mailchimp.php on line 309, referer: http://example.com/shop/

• Adam says

@Robert,

That looks like it’s not able to retrieve your MailChimp lists. Can you double-check the api key you are using?

Let me know.

Adam

• Robert says

The API key is correct and the plugin functions as expected. Its only when debug mode is enabled (in wp-config.php) that these warnings/notices show up.

5. says

Hi Adam, I’ve got the plugin working — it’s adding new customers to my mailchimp list. However, it’s only adding first name and last name and email address. Is there a way to have it add address and commerce information? I tried looking through all the comments but couldn’t find an answer.

Thanks,
    Larry

6. says

Hello Adam:

Great plugin – I’m encountering an error I think from your plugin –
    (250) NMRAID must be provided – Please enter a value
    Any suggestions? My searches didn’t reveal anything

Thanks
    Tim

• Adam says

@Tim,

That looks like maybe a custom merge field you have defined in MailChimp. Do you have that set as required? By default, the plugin only sends first name (FNAME), last name (LNAME) and email address (EMAIL) merge fields to MailChimp.

Let me know.

Adam

7. says

I have updated my website to a Word Press format (and Woo Commerce) and had my web master install the Mail Chimp plug in. I am going to update all my emails etc, but was hoping the main format would transfer over to my new site. We are getting the following error;

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/04/11960904/html/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce-mailchimp/classes/class-ss-wc-integration-mailchimp.php:304) in /home/content/04/11960904/html/wp-content/plugins/yith-woocommerce-wishlist/functions.yith-wcwl.php on line 118

Please advise…thank you,
    Carole

• Adam says

@Carole,

That line of code is where the plugin is trying to inform you that it is unable to load your lists from MailChimp. Can you double-check your MailChimp Api and make sure it is correct.

Let me know.

8. Lion says

Hey Adam, when I enabled the opt in – the checkbox and the text breaks into 2 lines.
    Looking at the source, I see there is a break between the checkbox and label.
    Is there a way to remove that?

Sign me up for updates on products

9. Saskia says

Hi Adam,

What a good idea this plugin is. I installed is and filled in the integration. It seems not to add a new cutomer though to the list if I tell it to add the subscriber after ‘order completed’. It does though after ‘order created’. And it does not add to groups although I have specified it and the groups do exist.

Can you help me out?

Tnx so far anyway.

10. says

Hi,

For a website I’m building I installed the Woocommerce >> MailChimp plugin. This is something I really wanted to have. So thank you for taking the time to build this plugin. But during the proces I bump into two kind of major problems:

1. I can only get someone added to the MC list if I set the “subscribe event” to “order created” But that would mean that a visitor gets a subscription even if they cancel the order. The “order completed” option doesn’t seem to work. I tested it several times.

2. Groups don’t work at all for me. In any form or combination. I tried entering the group in the first or the second field. Tried using the group name in the first and the specific group in the second…nada. What might I be doing wrong? The groups have been created in MC.

I would really appreciate it if you can help me out on this, because I see a great advantage for our clients here.

Regards,
    Saskia

• Adam says

Can you send me what your group and sub-group names are in MailChimp?

Also, for order completed, you usually have to manually mark an order complete in the WooCommerce admin area as it doesn’t happen automatically. Have you tried that?

I’m working on the next version and adding some logging for troubleshooting these types of issues.

11. Saskia says

Hi Adam,

I got it working! Indeed I have to complete the order in the back-end of Woo-commerce. And now the groups are working too.

Thnx for the hint. I’m very happy with this plugin now.

12. Rasmus says

Hey Adam.

Thanks for this nice looking plugin. Unfortunately, I can’t get it to work correctly on my site. The checkbox is shown just right, but theres no text label telling what it does.

Can you please help me fix this?

Thanks already,
    Rasmus.

13. Rasmus says

Wow. Did you just delete my comment about the fact that I don’t get a label telling what the checkbox actually does?

• Adam says

I don’t think so. Was just viewing some comments on my phone and responding. Is your comment not showing up anymore?

• Rasmus says

Nope. I posted the 20th of june, and now my comment is gone. I have installed your brilliant plugin, but all I get is the checkbox during checkout. There’s nothing telling the user what the box actually does..

14. says

Hey Adam,

On checkout I’m trying to give customers three differently levels of emails to receive. I can create these three groups within mailchimp but it seems like on check out the settings only enable them to opt in (entirely) or not.

Is there a way for the customer to choose which list they want to be a part of?

Thanks,

Marc

15. says

Thanks for this plug-in. I’ve also added PayPal Express to my WooCommerce. That means most customers are going from my Cart page to PayPal without visiting my Checkout page, which is where the MailChimp opt-in box is displayed. I want them to genuinely have the choice of opting in or out so is there a way to move the check box from the Checkout page they don’t visit to the Cart page they do see? Thanks!

Dave